Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Herbs of Spring; it Has Sprung!

Today was beautiful. It was sunny and warm for the northeast, so I had the chance to check out my gardens, such as they are. In this region, perennials are just waking up from their sleep and poking their leaves up as if to check things out. If it's warm and sunny enough, they seem to be thinking, they'll burst forth into the song of spring and grow amazingly fast. It makes me wonder; if I stood looking long enough, could I watch them grow?

I welcome them back, the mints and Sweet Cicely that will soon flavor tea and fruit salads, the thyme, chives, sage (I hope), and perhaps even parsley that will enrich my cooking with their fresh flavor. I see the Bouncin' Bet, aka Saponaria, that I struggle to control every year, and it looks so harmless! I've used it in soap, but want to experiment with it more, and my chance is coming up soon.

Some of the "weed" herbs, such as Dandelion, Chickweed, and Plantain, are showing themselves. Maybe I'll actually get to the Dandy before it gets too bitter and use it in salads and stir-fry. I often miss those first, tender leaves, the ones that taste best and must be harvested before it flowers, but not this year! Of course, I'll also dig them out afterward as I have a love/hate relationship with them.

I haven't seen them yet, but I'm looking forward to the violets. They are one of my favorite spring herbs. They're edible, and I also infuse them in oil for an eye cream. Last year, I made a wonderful syrup with them, and look forward to doing that again.

I only wish my camera was working so that I could capture that fresh spring look. They're small and unintimidating, clean, and promising. They won't last that way for long!

Yea, spring!

This post is part of a blog party hosted by Cory at Aquarian Bath, http://aquarianbath.blogspot.com . Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you.