Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lovin' Summer

Why do I like being out in my garden? It is peaceful, the most noise coming from the bird songs around me. I am alone with my thoughts and it gives me time to pray and to contemplate. I love the fresh air, the sunshine, the scent of "green," and whatever flowers are blooming at the time.

Today, I smelled lovely Valerian flowers. What a stark contrast to the dirty sock scent of the roots! I'm wondering if I can use the flowers or leaves in tea or some other herbal preparation. I'll have to do some research on that one. Many of my hardy geraniums are blooming, a welcome sight, for sure. Sweet Cicely, always one of my favorite herbs, is beginning to form seedheads. Soon, I'll have to deadhead so I won't have so many volunteers next spring, although the seeds are tasty to munch on. Roses are blooming with their welcome, heady sweet scents. They are always pleasurable to me, and I must make a point of gathering petals tomorrow. I use them for various purposes, from potpourri to cosmetic oils to syrup.

I have been reading on The Essential Herbal Yahoo Group about rose syrup. Mmm . . . If you love herbs, join the group! It exists for the magazine, "The Essential Herbal," which is a treasure trove of information, recipes, and ideas. Check it out!

Now, it's confession time. I nearly always wear gloves when I garden. Surgery several years ago on a sliver that went right to the bone on my thumb pad convinced me they were a good idea. Today, however, I didn't follow my own rules, and was amazed at not only how dirty my hands could get, but how the mud dried them out! Ugh. Of course, I have the advantage of a good supply of my own gardener's soap, which helps me clean my hands well, without being drying. A good washing, including a brush for under my nails, and my hand lotion, and my hands don't look too much worse for the wear.

Still, gloves are on the agenda for tomorrow. . .

What's up this week on the business front? Our 5 for 25 sale continues. Get five bars of soap for just $25.00, plus only $4 shipping! You'll save $1 on each bar, and a bunch on shipping. What a deal!
Scents include: Lavender*, Gingered Orange, Lilac Breeze, Groovy Patchouli*, Black Raspberries & Vanilla, Shea Flower, Mint Medley*, Sultry Sandalwood Vanilla, Fresh Clean Herbs, and Spun Sugar, and/or anything on my site. * indicates essential oil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not on my site:

Herbal Bath Teas: Oatmeal, Milk, & Honey, Purely Herbal Blend, Four Milk Blend, and Relaxation Blend - just $2/ea.
Liquid shower gel: All natural. 2 oz. for $4; 4 oz. $6.00
Lotion: Hand and body lotion - 4 oz, $7
Foaming Soap: Comes in the seasonal Apple Pie, plus Gingered Orange, Summer Tropical, and Lavender*, plus any other soap scent listed above. Just $7/bottle for 6 fl. oz.
Body Glow - A delightful exfoliant. It does the job without taking your hide off or drying out your skin. $12/jar

You must email me or message me on Facebook or my blog to get the savings. Simply mention BLOG.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Donations made to Missionary Flights International and Cleantheworld.org., bringing soap to people who can't afford it, fighting disease in third world countries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. Valerian flowers are beautifully scented, aren't they? Last year I made a tincture from the flowers, and while the action is milder than the roots, it is a very nice relaxing tincture.
    thanks for the mention :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you.