Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cucumbers, Cucumbers!


I hope that you enjoyed the links for the zucchini recipes, and that they helped you use the bounty from your garden. Now, it's time for cucumber recipes!

I'm posting one of my faves, and soon I'll post links to others' recipes.

Have fun!

Cucumber/Watermelon Salad

Although the combination of cucumber and watermelon might sound like a strange one, the result is delicious and refreshing.

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of cayenne pepper
4 cups watermelon cubes
2 cups cucumber slices
One Vidalia onion, sliced thin

Combine the vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Stir and cook until thickened. Cool. Add cayenne pepper. Place watermelon, cucumbers, and onion in large bowl. Pour syrup over and stir. Chill and serve.

I adapted my recipe from this one: http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~bcohen/cucumbers/recipes/watermelon.html


Cucumber Water
What a great way to cool off on a hot summer day! Just add slices of cucumber and ice to fresh water. Give it about an hour to infuse before drinking. If you'd like, you could also add lemon slices, mint, and/or anise hyssop. What can you think of?



Cucumber Soap

Using any soap formula you like, simply substitute pureed cucumbers for the water. I like to remove the seeds before I puree' the cukes, but it's not necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you.