Friday, April 29, 2011

Into the Garden!

It dawned glorious, sunny and warm, a treat for us in upstate NY as we experienced a difficult winter and spring.   Wednesday was just lovely, and it was a pleasure to help in the herb garden at the Tinker Home in Henrietta.


The garden was the brainchild of my friend, Arleen, a number of years ago.  She was instrumental in its design and implementation.  She also did a great deal of the maintenance, keeping the garden spiffy and beautiful for park-goers to enjoy.


It was a lovely garden, with interest for both adults and children; but, due to circumstances, it quickly fell into the chaos that gardens do when left unattended.  Occasionally, groups would come and do some weeding and tidying, but as anyone with gardens knows, a garden must be tended faithfully in order to keep it in check.


Along came a group of Master Gardeners, headed by John C. and Kathleen R., with a plan and an army of gardeners to renovate the garden.  Hallelujah!  Since I have an interest in and history with this garden, I was immediately enthused by their project, and offered to help.  They have developed a plan for the garden and the work that needs to be done, and Wednesday was the first work day.


I am happy to report that in just a couple of hours, we were able to lay down cardboard and mulch on almost 1/4 of the garden's perimeter.  I wish I could get that crew to come to my garden and work.  Just think how fast it would go!


The work wasn't easy, but it felt good to be out in the fresh, warm air and sunshine and to work outside with the herbs.  It gave me a spring in my step for the remainder of the day.  I came home and took a shower, using my freshly made Classic Gardener's Soap.  It took me several tries before I found the formula and additives that made it a winner in my book, but I am very pleased with my final product.  It's as natural as soap can be, using exfoliants to get the dirt out, but not to be harsh and drying to the skin--and it contains skin-loving essential oils, to boot!
Classic Gardener's Soap


I'm so concerned about products for gardeners, that I now have gardeners in mind for all of my products and tailor them for gardeners using herbs and other wonderful things from the garden.  Of course, any of them can be used and appreciated by those who claim to have brown thumbs, too!


Here's to hoping for many more of those beautiful gardening days.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



We are getting dirty, so I've been making good use of my Gardener's Soap.  It features natural "scrubbies" to help clean out the dirt, yet it's still moisturizing.

It comes in several types:

Classic:  essential oils and exfolliants such as cornmeal and poppy seeds for men and women
Salt Bar:  uses salt for exfoliation and a floral scent.  Lovely lotion feel. Very pink!
Cedar & Sage:  same exfoliants as Classic, but specifically for men
Garden Walk:  fragrant floral for women, with exfoliants

Get 5 bars for 25.00!  Try it today.

Not on my site, but also available:

Herbal Bath Teas: Oatmeal, Milk, & Honey, Purely Herbal Blend, Four Milk Blend, and Relaxation Blend - just $2/ea. 

Liquid shower gel: Natural. 2 oz. for $4; 4 oz. $6.00;  8 oz.  $11 -  In any scent listed above. 

Lotion: Hand and body lotion - 4 oz, $7; 8 oz., $12
Foaming Soap: Comes in the seasonal Apple Pie, plus Gingered Orange, Summer Tropical, Lavender, and any other scent I sell. Just $7/bottle for 6 fl. oz.

Look for Soap and Garden on Facebook and Twitter.  We just love gardeners!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog! I'd love to hear from you.